Friday, March 12, 2010

The Top 10 Questions Contractors Have About Getting Their License.

Important Questions for NEW Contractors

In my 30 years of experience in the contracting field, these are the top ten questions that
new contractors have regarding the industry and the licensing process.

It’s the law that any construction project priced over $500 total labor and materials requires that the contractor be licensed in the trade or occupation of the work. To qualify for a license, a contractor must be able to verify at least four years journey-level experience in the craft, pass a comprehensive trade and license law examination, and meet operating capital, bonding, and workers’ comp. requirements.
A licensed contractor must be 18 years of age or older and have the experience and skills necessary to manage daily activities of a construction business, including field supervision, or be represented by a qualifying individual with the necessary experience and skills.
3. Who must be licensed as a contractor?
All businesses or individuals who construct or alter any building, highway, road, parking facility, railroad, excavation, or other structure in California must be licensed by the California Contractors State License Board if the total cost (labor and materials) of one or more contracts on the project is $500 or more. Contractors must be licensed before submitting bids.
4. What kind of experience is required?
At least four years of journey-level experience is required to qualify for the exam. Credit is given for experience as a journeyman, foreman, supervising employee, contractor, or owner-builder.
5. Is there an education requirement?
There are NO education requirements to qualify for a contractor’s license. You may receive credit for technical training, apprenticeship training, or education instead of a portion of the required four years of practical experience. At least one year must be practical experience.
6. What are the exam requirements for a License?
Yes, the qualifying individual for a contractor’s license is required to pass written law and trade examinations, unless he or she meets the requirements for a waiver. An examination notice will be sent at least three weeks prior to the examination date.
7. What Are the financial requirements for a license?
All applicants other than those applying for a joint venture license, must have more than $2,500 worth of operating capital. Also, a contractor’s bond or cash deposit in the amount of $12,500 is required. The CSLB does not issue bonds.
8. Is workers’ compensation insurance required?
All contractors who have employees are required to present proof of workers’ compensation insurance coverage. Contractors who do not have employees working for them will be required to file a certificate of exemption.
9. How much does the license cost?
In addition to the financial requirements that must be met, it costs $250 for an original application fee (non refundable) and $150 for the initial license fee for one classification. The license must be renewed every two years. Currently, the renewal fee is $300.
10. How can I apply?
Obtain an Application for Original Contractor’s License from any office of the Contractors State License Board. To order or download an application form, visit our Web site, You can also call the CSLB’s 24-hour automated public information line, (800) 321-CSLB (2752);
or write to us at CSLB, P.O. Box 26000, Sacramento, CA 95826 to request an application.


  1. I know that the general contractor that I use in Salem OR has his license because I did my research before I decided on someone. The contractor that I used was great I would highly suggest him to any one who needs one.

  2. Because some state's exams are extremely detailed and intensive, it often pays to take a training course before taking the exam. These courses typically cost $1,000 or more and focus specifically on what the exam entails. After taking the exam.

    contractor licensing training......

  3. Come in for your free initial consultation and find out the various ways we can help your company achieve success. Whether you are just getting started or you’re ready to take your business to the next level,

    Click here To More......

  4. Hey to everyone, it’s my first visit of the blog site; this blog includes awesome and actually best info for the

  5. Operating under the umbrella of the West Virginia Department of Commerce, the Division of Labor is a multi-faceted and diverse state agency that touches nearly every aspect of the lives of consumers and businesses in West Virginia.
    Click here To More......

  6. Hey to everyone, Whether you are just getting started or you’re ready to take your business to the next level,

    contractors school